Re: TFP article in Gloucester County Times - Norm Quotes

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:39:35 -0500 (EST), <RuthWeiner@AOL.COM> wrote:

> "Control group" means more than just SR-90 in teeth near to and far from

> reactors, especially since the reactor component is swamped by the

> fallout component.

=========================

Hi all:

As everyone knows, if any Sr-90 activity were to be released from a nuclear

power plant, there would be much more Cs-137 being released due to the

fission yield [Cs/Sr ~ 1.6] and fractionation of Cs-137 [vs. Sr-90] in

waste streams that would lead to preferential release of Cs-137 vs. Sr-90

well in excess of the 1.6 or so fission yield ratio.

Back in 1990 when I sampled and analyzed Cs-137 in woodash from trees

growing in Vermont, Cs-137 from northern Vermont, nowhere near a nuclear

plant was measured at about 15,000 pCi/kg of ash. At the same time,  150

miles to the south, woodash from trees growing near Vermont Yankee and

harvested after 18 years of plant operation, showed Cs-137 in woodash at

about 1,500 pCi/kg ash --a level 10 times lower that measured 150 miles

north of the plant.

As I pointed out in my HPS Newsletter Feature article [Farber, Stewart;

"Preliminary Study of Cs-137 Uptake by Trees and Its Implications for BRC,

Waste Disposal, and Dosimetry", Health Physics Society's Newsletter, Volume

XVIII, Number 4, April 1990] a survey of Cs-137 levels in woodash from many

areas across the country was necessary because fallout Cs-137 [and quite

obviously Sr-90] in environmental media like trees [i.e: biomass] can vary

so sharply despite fairly even weapon's test fallout over a given local

area. As noted above, an area like Vermont can have Cs-137 in woodash

varying by a factor of 10  depending on various factors like potassium

levels in soil [which is inversely related to Cs-137 uptake], stable Cs

levels in soil,  and Calcium levels in soil [which is inversely related to

Sr-90 uptake from fallout deposition].  I raised the question in my Health

Physics Society Newsletter article in 1990 as to what would have happened

and what kind of claims would an agenda science group like the Tooth Fairy

Project be making if Cs-137 levels in biomass near a nuclear plant had

turned out to be 10 times higher than 150 miles north of the plant vs. the

10 times lower value actually measured? I think we all know the answer

based on their unscientific claims made in the hope of scaring the public

and garnering political and media attention against nuclear facilities.

TFP claims made based on a few [selected] measurements [of questionable

accuracy and precision] of Sr-90 in a few teeth from very young children

"near" a nuclear plant, given the variability of Sr-90 [and Cs-137] in

biomass, and any pathway to humans from a nuclear plant's operation vs.

preexisting higher and variable nuclear bomb test fallout of Cs-137 and Sr-

90 is incredibly simplistic and unscientific.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

Consulting Scientist

[203] 367-0791