RE: Tooth Fairy (Project) Comes to Hackensack UniversityMedical Center

Norm Cohen wrote on Monday, November 17, 2003 7:13 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: Tooth Fairy (Project) Comes to Hackensack UniversityMedical

Center

Hi Ted,

Yes, that is the basic premise of the TFP, combined with the idea that it

can't be fallout because sr90 has a 29 year halflife, meaning that sr90

levels should have fallen by 1/2 in the last 30 years or so. Thus, if sr90

levels in teeth are rising, then the r90 must be coming from nuclear plants.

norm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many times do we have to go through this song & dance ?

On Tuesday September 17, 2002 9:36 AM I sent the following message, the

facts of which haven't suddenly changed :

Norm chooses to keep repeating this nonsense, even after a number of people

on this list have taken the time to explain to him how these things work,

since about two years on this list now.

We can either ignore it, or we can go back into the archives and simply keep

re-stating the explanation. The latter is not for the benefit of Norm (who

apparently is incapable of learning anything, or simply chooses to ignore it

for political reasons), but for any new people on this list who may get the

impression that Norm's "mystery" remains unexplained (sort of like the crop

circles "mystery" that keeps resurfacing every few years, hoping to snare a

few souls who managed to miss getting caught the last time around...).

As stated previously, the reference book Environmental Radioactivity (4th

edition, Eisenbud/Gesell), has

a section devoted to the behaviour of radionuclides from nuclear weapons

test fallout, beginning on page 297 (Chapter 9, Nuclear Weapons).

Looking at the isolines of cumulative 90Sr deposits (Fig. 9-20 on page 299),

we can see a large variability in local deposition rates, relative to global

or North American average figures.

For instance, we can see that the area of the TFP surveys is inside the 80

mCi/km^2 isoline (as is much of the Midwest and Newfoundland and a small

piece of western British Columbia - including the city of Vancouver - and

Seattle in Wash. State), while southern California is outside the 40

mCi/km^2 isoline -- i.e. les than half as much 90Sr -- and Florida is just

shy of 60 mCi/km^2.

Most of Europe is about the same as Florida & Bahamas, the higher levels

being in the northern Mediterranean & Adriatic sea areas...

The heavy fallout in the TFP area, combined with other confounding factors

like local calcium levels in soil & foods (i.e. diet deficiency) can easily

lead to TFP results with 90Sr levels similar to those of 1960s vintage

levels in places like San Francisco or Los Angeles -- and voila, we have a

mysterious situation ripe for blaming on NPPs...

Two years ago, Norm wrote that "I'd certainly be interested in looking at

this kind of data & I'll pass it on to

the TFP."

Well, so much for promises !

Norm also wrote that "It is my understanding, though, that the majority of

teeth so far have come from either South Florida, New Jersey, or Long

Island. With the Indian Point accident recently, I do believe that a large

number of teeth have come in from that area of NY."

To which I replied,

"EXACTLY -- most of southern New England, including New Jersey and Long

Island/NY fall inside the 80mCi/km^2 isoline for 90Sr bomb test fallout.

The southern tip of Florida as well as Cuba appear to be right on the

60mCi/km^2 isoline - with increasing values towards the north-east, in the

direction of the Bahamas, Bermuda and the British Isles. By contrast, most

of South America, Southern & West Africa and Australia are below 10

mCi/km^2, so don't even bother collecting teeth there (just quote their

1960s 90Sr levels and point out how much higher today's levels are in the

TFP collection areas of the US -- all of course due to those evil NPPs !!).

You have a much better chance of scaring the public with the TFP data in

places like Detroit, Chicago, Cincinnati, Mineapolis/St.Paul, Des Moines,

Portland, Seattle and Vancouver -- all of which fall inside or on the 80

mCi/km^2 isoline (northern Japan is also a good bet - make sure you point

the accusing finger at last year's Tokaimura fuel fabrication plant

accident...  I mean, as long as you're going to talk about the Indian Point

"accident", right ?)."

So round & round we go, on the merry-go-round, right Norm ?

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to trot out this bogey man on a

semi-annual basis ? quarterly ? annual ?

Jaro

<end quote>

....so here we go again.

Jaro