Re: Tooth Fairy (Project)

Scientific research can be conducted at many levels.

In most cases, a study is preformed to test a

hypothesis.  I am not sure how DOE reports measure up

to being real research.  I would think that they are

more fact finding studies to support a position, would

use the term data-diving.  I would assume the some

technical review is preformed, but if the "peer" group

is in the same agency or office, I would consider that

a confounding factor.  I guess the issue comes down to

the question if reports are reviewed by a separate

reviewing panel.  Frequently, announcement of reports

are listed in the Federal Register to provide a

broader audience a chance to respond.

By the way, it was known from the time of the ancient

Greeks that the world was round. The problem was how

far a ship could go with the provision it had before

land would encountered again.   That is why the

Portugese circumnavigated Africa to get to the Far

East.  It was by accident that the found Brazil.

--- William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com> wrote:

> I agree that research should be peer reviewed prior

> to publication and prior to being used for a

> regulatory actions.

> I am bothered by those who attempt to block research

> from being undertaken because they don't agree with

> the "agenda" of the

> investigators.   Columbus had trouble obtaining

> funding, because everyone knew that the earth is

> flat!

> BTW, a lot of the DOE research I've seen is NOT peer

> reviewed prior to publication as a government

> report.  I remember a speaker

> at a ANS meeting pointing this out.  Also, one of

> the reasons for the delay in Yucca Mountain  is the

> inadequate QA for much of

> the initial site research.  (I can't give an exact

> citation, but I remember this being covered in a New

> York "Times" story in

> September, 1988.)  "Physician, heal thyself!"

> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.

> It's not about dose, it's about trust.

> Curies forever.

> Bill Lipton

> liptonw@dteenergy.com

> . . .

=====

"Eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty and . . . you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."

Andrew Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist