Re: medical isotopes - patient expense

How much more could it possibly cost an institution to type up instructions

for each radioisotope test they provide, run them off (bulk)and hand them

out to the patients along with the discharge instructions.

The hospitals in my area do not tell you the "details" of your

"radioisotope procedure" nor do they provide discharge instructions

pertaining to the rad part of the procedure.

I know this because I had a thyroid scan last year. I received no details

before I arrived at the hospital and I was not asked any questions at the

hospital. I asked the technician what the activity of the Tc-99m was right

before he injected me.(Boy was he surprised!). Yes, I asked him to please

check that the activity was correct.

Following the test,the supervisor brought the film in for me to view. It

turned in to a field trip.

I was a walking high rad area when I got home. If I were not a HP I would

never have known. Some might say that if we don't know we are better off

(stress etc.)I'm not buying that! I could have went home to a baby, been

pregnant or maybe I worked in a nursery/daycare and was going to work

afterwards.

I think a little extra effort from the nuc med staff is needed.