Satires: Re: detecting medical isotopes at airport security

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:58:47 -0800, Joel Baumbaugh <baumbaug@NOSC.MIL>

wrote:

> Ok, ok, you guys asked for this - well, not really, but I can't help

> myself (no hate mail please)....

> Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)

> SSC-SD..

> Their number's up!

> At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be

> a public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in

> possession of a ruler, a protractor, a  setsquare, a slide rule, and a

> calculator.

> At a morning press conference, Attorney  general John Ashcroft said he

> believes the man is a member of the notorious al-gebra movement.

Hi all:

This satire about al-gebra is clever. It reminds me a little of the Tom

Lehrer satire titled "New Math" on his 1965 album "This was the Year that

Was" where he first solves a subtrationn problem in base 10, and then jokes

that he's going to solve it in base 8. Lehrer quips:

"Base 8 is just like base 10......if you're missing 2 fingers!

Stu Farber