Re: Nuclear Power Plants vs. Hydropower Plants

With a siren, a remote-activatable weather radio, and an established

evacuation route to the nearest high ground, most people would be able

to get out of harm's way within the few minutes that a flood crest would

travel down to Clinton from Norris Dam.

If a dam breaks, whether due to earthquake, terrorist attack, upstream

disruption, or engineering miscalculation, there will be hell to pay if

no emergency plan was ever publicized.  Other dams around the world have

failed, and while these failures are rarely predictable far in advance,

often there is a warning of hours.

This is a much more likely scenario than a nuclear power plant accident,

as shown by history.  I think there should be more resources applied to

it, considering the higher potential death tolls.

Susan Gawarecki

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Toll free 888-770-3073 ~ www.local-oversight.org