Re: Measuring pulsed fields

Of course - OBVIOUSLY if the GM is counting the rep rate - its not a

valid reading - and doesn't sound right either!!  (just like when an ion

chamber instrument reading around an accelerator is just too steady -

you are probably seeing RF and need to try orthogonal orientations to

confirm this)

BUT - for low fields when the response rate is much less than the rep

rate - say the probability of a count within a dead time interval is

less than 1% - the reading can be useful.  10% - kinda useful - 30% -

forget it!

For higher intensities it would be swamped anyhow.

Like I said - under very specific conditions ......

If this is a recurring measurement need - then get an HPI 1030.

Direct beam is not necessary for loss of saturation in a pencil IC - all

that is needed is a really low duty cycle!  We encountered this for

leakage fields from an accelerator like device powered by a Marx

generator that produced a microsecond pulse every 4 minutes.  When we

compared TLD integrations with pencil ICs we found the ICs more than a

factor of 2 low and then did the math and determined that lack of

saturation was the problem and later verified this in lower fields and

thus determined that 10^4 R/hr was about the level where the losses were

this factor of 2.  These measurements where taken in low occupancy areas

in other areas where people were we of course had shielding - but we

needed to make these measurements to assess the usefulness of pencil ICs

for this project.

Integrated exposures were of course low and the pencil ICs were still

useful - once understood.

In our business instruments can never be used without thinking and

sometimes with considerable thought useful information can be derived

from less that optimal conditions.