RE: Disposal of Decontamination Waste post RDD

Ted

Yes indeed, lets force the issue up and get it moving,

and that's easier said than done. Don't think for one

minute that there are not many people trying this now

in DC. It isn't easy.....Congress is reactive not

pro-active....

Gerry

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:48:22 -0500, "Ted Rockwell"

wrote:

> Gerry:

> On your point of facing this situation now instead of

> later, you and I are

> in full accord.  I could not get anyone to face this

> issue before we got

> Yucca Mtn.  And, as expected, the issue is no easier

> now than it was then.

> Let's force the issue now on resolving the total

> disconnect between science

> and policy.

> I think you underestimate the speed with which public

> perception can change.

> Recall:  Before Pearl Harbor, Japanese were considered

> by much of the US

> public to be funny little primitives who couldn't even

> make Christmas tree

> lights that worked.  Then, in a very few years, from

> 1946 to the early 50s,

> they became ten feet tall.  They were going to take

> over the commercial

> world.  We lazy and scientifically illiterate

Americans

> couldn't possibly

> compete with them.

> Our professional responsibility is to speak the truth

> about technical

> matters, not to protect people because we think they

> can't handle it.  I

> thinki we are also vulnerable to the charge that by

> continuing to overplay

> the danger we are merely creating vast jobs for

> ourselves that are not

> justified by the facts as we know them to be.

> Ted Rockwell

> Ted Rockwell

ADD

> Ted, Again on the science of it I will not argue with

> you. On the political and psychological sides you are

> underestimating the event dramatically. What I am

> focused on is getting the situation under control NOW

> before an event like this occurs and get out of

> control. That is the point!

> Gerry Blackwood

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:06:35 -0500, "Ted Rockwell"

> wrote:

> > The cost of cleaning up after a ADD is up to us.

Like

> > graffiti, it is

> > nearly impossible to remove all traces.  But if we

> > expend only an

> > appropriate amount, we can still remove any health

> > threat.  We've got to get

> > over the idea that radioactivity is uniquely

> dangerous.

> >  It is not, but we

> > can act as if it were, and that's what we're doing.

> > Bradt's comments are

> > right on target.

> > Ted Rockwell

Of

> > Gerry Blackwood

> > Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 11:18 AM

> > To: Clayton.Bradt@LABOR.STATE.NY.US

> > Cc: radsafe-digest@list.Vanderbilt.Edu

> > Subject: RE: Disposal of Decontamination Waste post

> ADD

> > Bradt: I and many others agree with you that we need

> > be engage in rational war-planning of which we are

> not.

> > Most of the current security is what we know as

> > Security Theater and not much more. While in this

> > so-called war on terror the gang in the field is

doing

> > the best they can with what they have. I posted the

> FAS

> > Article only as a point of reference. However saying

> > that the ADD Threat is a real as you are and being

> > taken very seriously by DHS and the FBI. While I

also

> > agree we are not talking thermonuclear weapons we

are

> > talking about an economic and psychological weapon

of

> > large magnitude and that is dependent on the emitter

> > used. If HEU is used you can expect casualties in a

> > limited area and dependent on the circumstances

> > billions in economic damage. Remember, terrorism is

> not

> > just about killing people. In my opinion the 911

> attack

> > was not just a terror attack it was a classical

> > military decapitation strike targeting Financial,

> > Military and Political Targets. We war game this

> > scenario with nukes not aircraft. But 911 was a

> > decapitation strike and we response to 911 as one.

> > Yes we need to be rational on these issues but lets

> > make sure we are not underplaying the threat either.

> > Remember not everyone in this country is a scientist

> > nor will the media let this event go unnoticed.

> > Educating the general public is this area is

critical

> > while constructive legislation limiting the impact

of

http://mail.Justice.com