Re: detecting medical isotopes at airport security

Dan,

Fijate despues de la raya donde dice DATE etc, A quien corresponda" y es lo

que le dan a los pacientes que van a viajar. Espero que te sirva porque lo

saque del Trash.

Chau,

yo

Carol:  We provide patients, who know that they are going to be traveling,

with the following letter.  And, it is not a HIPAA violation, since the

patient has direct control of the protected health information.  They can

choose to provide it to the concerned authorities, or be incarcerate

Date

To whom it may concern:

The following patient received a radioactive drug for medical diagnosis or

treatment at the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University

School of Medicine, as detailed below.

Name of Patient:

Date of Birth:

Radioactive Drug:                      Physical Half-Life:

Administered Activity:                 Date of Administration:

This information may be verified by contacting a nuclear medicine or

radiology physician as follows.

Monday ­ Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM ­ (314) 362-2802 (or 2803)

)

Saturday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM [Nuclear Medicine Reading Room]

At other times ­  (314) 758-6895  [On-call Radiology Resident]

Ask the physician who answers the phone to verify the patient’s radioactive

drug administration record by in the radiology information system.

Sincerely,

Treating Physician’s Signature

Treating Physician’s Name (PRINT)

Barry A. Siegel, M.D.

Division of Nuclear Medicine

Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology

510 S. Kingshighway Blvd.

St. Louis, MO  63110

TEL:  (314) 362-2809

FAX: (314) 362-2806

E-Mail:  siegelb@mir.wustl.edu

siegelb@mir.wustl.edu

                       Carol

Marcus

                       <csmarcus@ucla.edu>           To:

knwachter@juno.com, radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                       Sent

by:                      cc:

                       owner-radsafe@list.van        Subject:  Re:

detecting medical isotopes at airport security

                       derbilt.edu

                       11/21/03 06:11

PM

                       Please respond

                       Carol

Marcus

At 12:46 PM 11/21/2003, knwachter@juno.com wrote:

 >Does anyone know of incidents where residual medical isotopes in a

 >traveller's body set off radiation monitors at an airport?  A cardiologist

 >mentioned to me that he had heard of Tl-201 a day or two after a cardiac

 >scan tripping alarms at some airports.  Just curious.

 >knwachter@juno.com

Dear Radsafers:

I know that it has happened in the New York City subways recently and in

government buildings in Washington, D.C. for years.   I know it has

happened at the Athens Airport, some years ago.  I don't know if it has

happened at US airports, but it should!  I understand that the scientists

manning the DOE TRIAGE Program have gotten very good at spotting the

spectra of radionuclides used in nuclear medicine.  I really think that

patients who receive radiopharmaceuticals should be given a card the size

of a credit card to carry in their wallet for a few weeks, and that the

card contains all the relevant information and a number to call to

check.  However, I guess that would now be a HIPAA violation!

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/