Re: Chemical, Nuclear Arms Still 'Major Threat,' Cheney Says

I find it interesting the Vice-President is concerned

that ". . . many journalists have not tried to find

out "the real facts" when writing about Halliburton, a

Houston-based energy conglomerate of which he was

chairman . . ."  He does not mention any other

specific inaccuracies or failings of the press.

With regard to future terrorists threats, I think the

following may be of interest regarding the fear of a

smallpox attack may be unrealistiic

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=5&articleID=0000825F-006B-1FD9-806B83414B7F0103

--- Gerry Blackwood <gpblackwood@justice.com> wrote:

> Chemical, Nuclear Arms Still 'Major Threat,' Cheney

> Says

> December 17, 2003

> By Mike Allen

> Washington Post Staff Writer

> Vice President Cheney warned this week that "the

> major

> threat" facing the nation is the possibility that

> terrorists could detonate a biological or nuclear

> weapon in a U.S. city.

. . .

> Cheney called the free press "a vital part of

> society,"

> but added: "On occasion, it drives me nuts." When

> Williams asked what drives him nuts, Cheney said,

> "When

> I see stories that are fundamentally inaccurate."

> "It's the hypocrisy that sometimes arises when some

> in

> the press portray themselves as objective observers

> of

> the passing scene, when they obviously are not

> objective," he said. "Cheap shot journalism. Not

> everybody is guilty of it, but it happens."

> He said coverage has changed over the years,

> asserting

> that there is "such an emphasis now on getting there

> fast with a story that oftentimes accuracy goes out

> the

> window."

> Cheney did not give examples. But he said many

> journalists have not tried to find out "the real

> facts"

> when writing about Halliburton, a Houston-based

> energy

> conglomerate of which he was chairman before

> becoming

> Bush's running mate.

> "There are an awful lot of people in the press who

> don't understand the business community," Cheney

> said.

> "I think our political opponents have spent a lot of

> time hammering away on trying to find some

> allegation

> that Halliburton got favoritism on contracts, or

> trying

> to make some kind of connection they've never been

> able

> to make. There's no evidence to support anything

> like

> that, but if you repeat it often enough, it becomes

> sort of an article of faith."

. . .

=====

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not themselves, and under a just God cannot long retain it."

Abraham Lincoln

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist