Re: Depleted uranium slipped in by ABC

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:36:23 +1100, Sonter Mark <sonterm@epa.nsw.gov.au>

wrote:

> Surely our regulatory people can find somewhere the intestinal fortitude

> to broadcast, simply, that metallic DU is about as dangerous as metallic

> lead, > or tungsten. And is very widely used.

> And that stories which are designed to cause unwarranted fear are aiding

> and > abetting the bad guys.

================

Hi all:

I would not expect much response from "regulatory people" to the recent

repeat agenda journalism from ABC News about the "smuggling" of a few kg of

DU into the US.

Prior to the 1988 presidential election, I authored a widely published

satire about the health hazards of "strepdukakis antinucleosis".  This

satire was published as a "Backscatter" contribution in Nuclear News and in

the Health Physics Society Newsletter [as well as a bunch of newspapers

including the Boston Herald] just prior to the fall election, and included

a reference to the odd situation with the existence of:

"gutless yet constipated bureaucracies"

I don't feel much has changed since 1988 that will result in today's

federal regulatory bureaucracies taking principled or sensible positions on

radiation risk issues or to react in the slightest way to media deceit,

sensationalism, and exaggeration of radiation health/security issues.

Stewart Farber