RE: [cdn-nucl-l] Our double standard; re update on natural gas disaster in China

Jerry,

Just to expand a bit on your point about stochastic cancer risk -- the

reason I didn't mention it in my initial comment is because even a huge,

near-lethal acute radiation dose won't increase one's risk of cancer by more

than a percentage or two -- from the typical 24% to something like 25 or

26% -- hardly comparable to an instant death from gas poisoning.

To increase your cancer risk to near-100%, one would have to receive a

chronic dose, a dozen or more times higher than the near-lethal acute dose,

over several years, so as to avoid death from ARS (acute radiation

syndrome).

The circumstances allowing such a large, protracted exposure are extremely

unusual.

The best known example is that of the radium dial painters, whose internal

contamination led to doses of up to many thousands of rads.

With all the radiation monitoring and containment technology & procedures we

have these days, its hard to imagine circumstances leading to such massive

contamination (chewing on spent fuel pellets perhaps ? ...I don't think so).

And as we saw in the Chernobyl disaster, even iodine-131 contamination

(which was entirely avoidable) didn't cause deaths on the scale of last

week's natural gas disaster in China.

 Jaro

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html