Re: ABC's Depleted Uranium Smuggling Article

I agree that the detection of DU would be as much as a

terrorist attack as the use of HEU or any other

radionuclide.  I am surprised, or may be I should not

be, that others do not see it that way.

--- Gv1@AOL.COM wrote:

> Once again, good analysis for possible causes for

> why they may or may not

> detect DU instead of HEU, but the public is not

> going to think their ability to

> detect HEU is any better than DU.  Perhaps, the port

> personnel should have

> simply stated that they are not interested in DU and

> therefore do not look for

> this material.  Perhaps their process was broken,

> but we'll never know...

> I would think a dirty bomb with DU would be just as

> scary to the public as

> any other dirty bomb, because you could detect the

> beta along with the even more

> deadly alpha being emitted.  You can see reporters

> with a frisker alarming

> the public at a few hundred counts above background.

> Glen Vickers

=====

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not themselves, and under a just God cannot long retain it."

Abraham Lincoln

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist