Re: Nuclear Medicine Patients and Homeland Security

This IN does not hold the licensee responsible if a patient refuses to follow the written instructions,

provided that the licensee has made a reasoned determination that the patient is "capable" of following these

instructions and has stressed the importance of following them.  If a patient who alarms a detector states

that he had to sign some paperwork, but had no idea what it meant, then an inspector may be visiting the

licensee.  However, if this patient states that he understands the instructions but chose not to follow them,

I don't think there's anything that the NRC can do.

I don't know whether the NRC has statutory authority to require the patient to follow instructions.  It seems

that, unless specifically exempted by law, the NRC could write the regulations such that the patient is

granted a general license to receive the nuclear medicine treatment and the nuclear medicine administration

is considered a transfer to a general licensee.  Then, one of the conditions of this general license would

require to patient to follow all written instructions from the specific licensee.  I'm not sure that this is

worth it.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton