Re: FW: New patient treatment protocol for recurrent head and neck tu mours opened at the Finnish BNCT facility

My understanding is that experimental medical

procedures are not based on whether or not the patient

will benefit directly from the procedure.  The

treatment is based around the assumption that a select

set of patients will be benefit from the treatment.

We try to make it as clear as possible that the

treatment may not help the patient, but that the

information will be useful.

Obviously, for patients with terminal diseases, the

treatment may offer "hope" of remission, more than

might actually exist.

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@AECL.CA> wrote:

> FYI.....

. . .

> Boneca Corporation and Helsinki University Central

> Hospital (HUCH) have

> begun conducting research on the treatment of

> recurrent head and neck cancer

> with Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT). This

> research will be funded by

> Boneca Corporation.

> Head and neck cancer treatment is the latest field

> of research for BNCT.

> This type of research has never before been

> conducted in the world.

> Previously, two research studies have been initiated

> at HUCH, which have

> been funded by Boneca Corporation. In these studies,

> the effect of BNCT on

> glioblastoma multiforme, a malignant brain tumor, is

> tested both as initial

> phase treatment as well as in the treatment of

> recurrent disease.

> The new study continues the long-lasting

> co-operation between Boneca

> Corporation, HUCH and VTT Technical Research Center

> of Finland. The aim of

> the research is to create a BNCT radiation therapy,

> which fulfills the

> quality criteria in health care.

> The Head of the Scientific Advisory Board is

> professor Heikki Joensuu. The

> treatment will be give in co-operation with the

> Department of Oncology,

> HUCH. The actual BNCT radiation therapy will take

> place in the BNCT therapy

> center of Boneca Corporation, which is located in

> Otaniemi, Espoo at the VTT

> research reactor. The Department of

> Otorhinolaryngology in HUCH and the

> Turku PET (Positron emission tomography imaging)

> Center will participate in

> the reasearch.

> In BNCT, radiation is directed biochemically and

> physically in order to

> maximize a high radiation dose to the tumor and to

> minimize the radiation to

> the healthy tissue. PET-scanning is used in the

> evaluation of treatment

> efficacy. As distinct from conventional radiation

> therapy, BNCT is given in

> a single treatment session.

> Since the treatment in question is experimental, the

> referring doctor must

> always first assess whether the patient will benefit

> from BNCT treatment.

> Whether a patient is eligible for the treatment will

> be assessed on a

> case-by-case basis through a protocol approved by

> the Ethical Committee of

> HUCH as well as the National Agency for Medicines.

> However, the final

> decision to participate in the study will be made by

> the patient himself

> once he has received an explanation of the

> procedure.

. . .

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist