Re: 'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry

John ?

The instrumentation I was referring to is use in what we used to call "crisis management" ... i.e. what you do before it goes "boom", or to keep it from going "boom". "Consequence management" ... i.e. figuring out where it is and how much of it's there ... is an entirely different animal. I've already stated my opinion in this very forum as to the status of our consequence management capability as a nation ... I don't think I need to repeat. In general, though, I don't think there are enough "experts" or equipment to go around.

Jim

>>> John Jacobus <crispy_bird@yahoo.com> 1/8/2004 12:15:22 >>>

Can I assume that all of the first responders will

have the technology and expertise to properly

determine the existence of a "dirty bomb?"  Or will we

have to wait for the experts to get here?

--- Jim Hardeman <Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us> wrote:

> Kim et al.

> My staff and I participated in training with these

> folks a few years back ... they have both gamma and

> neutron detection capability ... pretty good on both

> counts, in my opinion. Can't remember if they

> capture spectral analysis info from hand-carried

> detectors or not. They had NO problem at all seeing

> a shielded Cs-137 box calibrator inside a "butler

> building" from well outside that building, on the

> state defense dept. reservation where we conducted

> the training. Plus, the folks carrying these

> instruments are savvy enough, IMHO, to understand

> that you don't necessarily need a neutron signature.

> Oh ... the detectors they show on TV aren't the

> "good stuff" <grin>

. . .

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist