Re: USDOE/DOL/NIOSH Dose Reconstruction Program

I think that the fact that government is actually

doing something may be of value.  Consider other

instances of harm, the military use of agent orange in

Viet Nam, or Gulf War Syndrome.  For years, there was

denial of effect.  Eventually, political pressure

forced action.  In all the cases I am aware of,

compensation was never paid for radiation exposures.

I believe that a lot of the compensations will be

related to beryllium exposures.  It shows that

government cares, and helps with re-elections.

If one considers the "generosity" of Congress,

consider the compensation being given to victims of

the World Trade Center destruction.  No compensation

was given to the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing,

or the first attack on the World Trade Center towers

in 1993.

I suggest you write to your Congress about his or her

wasteful spending habits.

--- jjcohen <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

>     As recently discussed on Radsafe, radiogenic

> cancer cases are largely indistinguishable from

> cancers due to other causes. The probability of

> causation (PC) approach to determine presumptive

> causation for specific cases, is largely dependant

> on subjective assumptions (including LNT), and

> therefore of questionable value.

>     For these and other reasons, it seems to me that

> the Dose Reconstruction Program (DRP) that the

> government is setting up to compensate former

> DOE/AEC workers will amount to just another bloated

> bureaurocracy that will accomplish little more than

> the squandering of lots of tax money benefiting only

> those who feed at the government trough by working

> for the DRP. I am aware that this program is

> responsive to congressional directive, but it still

> seems ill conceived! (Could the US Congress be

> misguided?) I hope I am wrong about all this. If so,

> could someone please straighten me out?  Is it at

> all possible that something good might actually

> evolve from this program?

> Jerry Cohen

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist