Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

While the protestors may seem irrational, it is generally a good policy to avoid

sending placarded shipments through a city, if an alternate route is available. We

generally send our waste shipments on the bypass loops around major cities.   I know

there are some cases where there is no good alternate route.  The most high profile

one is that you have to go thru New York City to get out of Long Island.  Maybe, Albq.

has no good bypass routes.

I remember a new fuel shipment, c.a. 1995, which had a head on collision with a drunk

driver on I-91, in downtown Springfield, MA.  There was a potential for the equivalent

of a "dirty bomb," since the Type A packages containing the fuel were not designed or

tested to survive an accident and fire.  Fortunately, they held up.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com