Re: AW: New Dirty Bomb study

Once again, it was my mistake to note the Goiania

incident as an RDD event. My eyes saw Goiania, the

neurons said Bogota and the fingers did the rest.

However I am still not convinced the event was due just

to "scavengers" as most have noted. This area as well

as much of Brazil and Columbia have had active

guerrilla and counter insurgency movements while the

hunt for radioactive materials has been going on for a

very long time, much longer than 1987. Cesium-137

brings a nice sum on the black market even back in

1987. Again some of us look at events for other reasons

than just scientific reconstruction for cause and

effect.

And Franz if that is not good enough for you then tough.

Gerry Blackwood

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:15:54 +0300, Jose Julio Rozental

wrote:

> Dear Franz,

> Thank you very much for your message and the mention

of

> my activities in

> Goiania.

> To all,

> In fact I managed the response in Goiania as general

> coordinator and I was

> there since the begin, with active participation in

all

> the response phases.

> Soon, I have to return to Goiania, where I spent

there,

> living there, for

> about 3 years to organize the post accident phase.

> Goiania was not a RDD - Categorically I affirm this

and

> few decision makers

> know the complexity of Goiania better than me!

> In fact currently, because Goiania it is always

> mentioned as example on what

> could be happen in case of a RDD, I am writing a paper

> and I have selected

> the title:

> "Radiological Accident in Goiania x RDD: Similarities

> and Differences" to be

> presented in any International Congress or Conference

> or even Seminar to

> discuss The Lessons of Goiania to be considered in

case

> of  an  Emergency

> Response due a  RDD - all kind of lessons (political,

> economical, social,

> psychological, media and technical). I do believe the

> presentation of these

> lessons of Goiania will be of great value to

Regulatory

> Authorities and to

> those dealing with decisions, especially when you have

> no time to discuss,

> and have to act.

> A question to discuss is: Could a RDD be worst than

> Goiania?

> Yes or Not or Yes and Not give rise to  questions

> concerning the reasons and

> directions.

> Finally, 16 years after Goiania and until now there

are

<franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT>