Re: Argentine judge bans US ship with nuclear cargo

Will the Argentinian government enforce this ban?

Just how far do Argentinian waters extend?

--- Charly Frey <cfrey@ssi-group.net> wrote:

> Argentine judge bans US ship with nuclear cargo

>       BUENOS AIRES: An Argentine judge has banned a

> US ship laden with high-level nuclear waste from

> Argentine territorial waters.

>       Federal Judge Jorge Pflejer decided in favor

> of a suit by the state government in Chubut,

> southern Argentina.

>       The US freighter sought to sail around Cape

> Horn carrying waste from a dismantled nuclear

> reactor, according to court documents presented by

> Chabut state attorney Jorge Miquelarena.

>       "The goal is not only to keep the boat out of

> our ports, but also out of Argentine waters," he

> said.

>       Environmental groups Greenpeace and Taller

> Ecologista gave Chabut state Governor Mario Das

> Neves the information to file the suit.

>       Southern California Edison shipped the

> dismantled the reactor from San Onofre, California

> to a waste site in Barnwell, South Carolina.

>       The trip from California, around Cape Horn at

> the southern tip of Chile and Argentina and up to

> the Carolinas is about 20,000 kilometers (12,500

> miles).

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist