RE: [Fwd: Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM]

You are correct in this analysis of the regs but there are some other

constraints.  If the material is dispersed then you get into the question of

how to rearrange the material after dispersal to evaluate nuclear

criticality safety.  The IAEA Safety Guide says that you have to assume that

any dispersed material from all of the containers rearranges into the most

reactive arrangement for the nuclear criticality safety evaluation.  That is

a major driver in the licensing today.  In reality, uranium dioxide in fuel

tubes is not a very readily dispersible material.  You are correct that the

radiological consequences of the dispersal of the Type A quantity of low

enriched uranium are not considered in the licensing of the container

because that falls within the definition of what constitutes a Type A

quantity.