RE: Time needed for Rn-222 daughters to reach equilibrium with theirparent?

Thanks, Kal. Much appreciate! Steve x3839

-----Original Message-----

From: Kai Kaletsch [mailto:eic@shaw.ca]

Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 4:15 PM

To: Franz Schoenhofer; Frey, Steven R.; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: Time needed for Rn-222 daughters to reach equilibrium with theirparent?

Franz and Steve,

We usually let radon progeny grow in for 3 hours to reach an equilibrium factor of 0.99. Theoretically, ten half lives would bring the daughter to 99.9% of the parent activity (1-2^-10=0.999). In the case of radon progeny, we have to consider that Bi-214 follows Pb-214 and they have similar 1/2 lives, so it takes a bit longer to grow in than just a single daughter.

We have put a program on the web that, among other things, calculates the equilibrium factor as a function of time. It is at: http://members.shaw.ca/eic/Tools/RoomRadonTime.htm

Keep in mind that the calculation is done numerically in 15 second time increments, so there is an inherent error and equilibrium factors >1 are reported after long decay times.  Hope this helps,

Kai