Re: OSHA & Radiation (was: Badges for surgery)

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear—not

absence of fear."

Mark Twain

--- Steven Dapra <sjd@swcp.com> wrote:

> Jan. 14

> 	Clayton Bradt's posting (germane portion below)

> shows the invincible

> ignorance of the human creature.

> 	How do those EMTs suppose that injured man got into

> the cyclotron?  That

> he ran into a dangerous area after he was injured?

> And that he is the only

> one in the building?  Of all the stupid . . .

> 	EMTs will gladly take a rowboat or a power boat out

> into a raging river to

> rescue someone who is in danger of drowning.  They

> will plunge into a

> burning building, or drag someone out of a burning

> car, but they won't go

> into a building with a trefoil displayed on it.

> 	This is so simple-minded, or paranoid, or stupid,

> or what-have-you, it

> defies description.

> 	EMTs get PAID to take risks.  That comes with the

> territory, so get in

> there and get busy doing your job!

> Steven Dapra

> sjd@swcp.com

> - - - - - - - -

> With regard to the electrocution incident: We have

> had a running battle with

> local code enforcement people in some municipalities

> who insist on requiring

> posting on the outside of all buildings where

> radioactive materials are

> stored/used - regardless of the form or quantities.

> (For the protection of

> first responders, they claim.)  The cyclotron

> facility was located in one

> such municipality, and had a radiation sign on the

> outside of the building.

> When the EMTs arrived, they at first refused to

> enter because of the sign.

> Meanwhile the victim was unconscious on the floor

> and the pharmacist was

> yelling and cursing at the EMTs to get them to come

> in to treat him.  They

> finally overcame their radiophobia and the

> individual was transported to

> hospital.  The victim recovered but had some severe

> burns.  Here again we

> have an agency (code enforcement this time) guarding

> turf in an area in

> which they have no expertise.  This time with near

> fatal consequences.

> - - - - - -

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist