Re: Study Raises Projection For 'Dirty Bomb' Toll

Please, consider:

a) poor control in Brazil

b) poor control by user

In the First case we can consider general context, and this is not correct.

Poor control by user you can find anywhere in many developed countries,

including USA

AN OVERVIEW OF MANAGING THE U.S. RADIATION PROTECTION PROGRAM CONCERNING

GENERALLY-LICENSED SOURCES AND DEVICES

Commissioner Greta Joy Dicus, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Washington, D.C. 20555

Keynote Presentation at the

10th Annual International Radiation Protection Association Conference

May 15, 2000

Hiroshima, Japan

"U.S. operational experience with radioactive materials includes few

accidents with generally-licensed devices, and only five have resulted in

potential radiation overexposures to the general public since 1989. The U.S.

metal recycling industry has been particularly affected by losses and thefts

of radioactive sources, some of which were generally-licensed and have

subsequently become mixed with metal scrap destined for recycling."

"For a smelting event involving a large radiation source (believed to not be

a generally licensed device) one U.S. steel mills incurred an average cost

of approximately US$ ten million, while yet in another case the cost

approached US$ 23 million."

"Lost, stolen, and abandoned generally-licensed sources or devices appearing

in recycled metals constitute a worldwide problem. Thirty other smelting

events have been reported in at least eighteen other countries (1). Others

may have occurred but have not come to our attention or cannot be

confirmed."

USA PERSPECTIVES

SAFETY & SECURITY OF RADIOACTIVE SOURCES

BY GRETA JOY DICUS

IAEA BULLETIN, 41/3/1999

"Each year, the NRC receives about 200 reports of lost, stolen or abandoned

radioactive sources and devices. It is important to note that such reports

are received only when licensees recall that they have a source, know that

it is lost or stolen, know that there is a requirement to report the loss or

theft, and make that report."

"In some cases, the loss of control of radioactive sources resulted in

radiation overexposures of unsuspecting members of the public. For example,

in 1979, an unshielded 1 GBq (28 Ci) iridium-192 industrial radiography

source was accidentally left at a temporary job site in California. A

worker, not knowing what itwas, picked it up and placed it  into a back

pocket of his trousers. The dose to his buttock exceeded 200 Sv(20,000 rem).

In 1992, a 0.14 GBq (3.7 Ci) iridium-192 brachytherapy source was accidently

disconnected from the cable attaching it to a remote afterloader while it

was emplaced in a patient. The source eventually became dislodged from the

patient together with surgical dressings. The discarded dressings containing

the source were sent to a disposal facility which routinely conducted

radiation surveillance of incoming waste. Radiation from the source was

detected and it was thus discovered the patient died from complications

resulting from the overdose and 90 members of the public were accidentally

exposed to the source.

In 1996, industrial radiography devices were stolen....."

The above examples doesn't mean poor control by Regulatory Authority.

So, I can't agree with your expression:  "poor control in Brazil"

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel