RE: Radiation Hormesis

Dr. Luckey gave a presentation that I attended where

he claimed that the incidences of cancer were

increasing during the last century aecause we reducing

radiation exposure.  My comment was if changes in life

expectancy considered.  In 1900, the life expectancy

was 45 years.  In 2000, it was 73 years.  If you look

at the statistics, the risks of breast and prostate

cancers increase as one ages.

--- "Vernig, Peter G." <Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV>

wrote:

> Group.

> I suggest those interested in it, search radiation

> hormesis and look among

> other things for publications by T. D. Luckey.  He

> is one of the foremost

> proponents of radiation hormesis.  I attended a

> conference in Berkeley in

> the mid 1980s on hormesis.  There seemed to be a lot

> of evidence to support

> it in various biological systems.  Luckey goes

> farther than most in saying

> that there is a minimum requirement of radiation

> like vitamins and places

> that coincidentally at 5 rem per year with I believe

> 10 rem as optimal.  I

> think it safe to say that he goes beyond what most

> proponents of hormesis do

> in that regard however at the conference there was a

> reference list that to

> my recollection was between 50 and 100 papers that

> supported a hormetic

> affect in a given system.

> A case made by proponents was that many of the

> studies supporting it were

> not published or given much credence if published

> because they ran counter

> to the accepted concept of a linear dose response

> curve.

> I am neutral on hormesis and do not wish to take up

> a debate on it on

> Radsafe.  I am merely pointing out an avenue of

> investigation for those

> interested.

> Any opinions expressed in this message are mine

> alone and do not necessarily

> represent those of the Eastern Colorado VA Health

> Care System, The

> Department of Veterans Affairs, or the United States

> Government.

> Peter G. Vernig

> Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center 1055

> Clermont St. Denver, CO

> 80220, ATTN:  RSO MS 115; peter.vernig@med.va.gov;

> personal

> peter_vernig@hotmail.com; 303.399.8020 ext. 2447,

> FAX: 303.393-5026 [Off on

> weekends] Alternate fax 303-377-5686 [Service 24/7]

> "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is

> right, whatever is

> pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if

> anything is found to be

> excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on

> these things."

> Paul of Tarsus

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist