Re: NASA's "New Space Vision"

I find it interesting that there is no mentioning of a

new, heavy lifting rocket.  If I remember correctly

ex-V.P. Dan Quayl was incharge of a program to look at

this question.  (I think it was to keep him out of

trouble.)  In order to preform all of this "visionary"

things, will the present rocket systems, minus the

space shuttle be able to support the program?

If you remember the Apollo missions, the Saturn V was

a massive machine, producing 7.5 million pounds of

thrust. http://www.apollosaturn.com/saturnv.htm

The space shuttle only delivers 5.8 million pounds of

thrust

http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/ABSTRACTS/MSFC-0102618.html

I think I will need more that PR slide shows and

graphs to be convinced this program or "vision" will

go forward.

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@AECL.CA> wrote:

> See

> http://www.nasawatch.com/misc/New_Space_Vision.pdf

> http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=11605

> ....what I found interesting was the larger craft

> shown in the picture,

> above the moon -- looks like a NASA Prometheus

> project-derived NEP

> (nuclear-electric propulsion rocket) adapted to

> manned service for shuttling

> between earth and the moon, and as practice for

> eventual Mars trips (the

> reactor is at the right, the "pointy" end -- note

> the resemblance to the

> JIMO design (Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter), which was

> also borrowed recently by

> others for their concepts of asteroid trajectory

> deflection ).

> > This is consistent with the "Enabling

> Capabilities" statement, "Develop

> > and demonstrate power generation, propulsion, life

> support, and other key

> > capabilities required to support more distant,

> more capable, and/or longer

> > duration human and robotic exploration of Mars and

> other destinations."

> > As usual, the dreaded N-word is left out, but the

> implication is clear.

> > Jaro

> http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist