RE: Radiation Hormesis -- or not

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:58:40 -0800 (PST), John Jacobus wrote:

>Thank you for your comments.  So you subscribe to the

>idea that the hormetic effect is only present in

>response to the agent.  Once the agent is removed

>there is no longer a hormetic effect?

Yes - in principle, but not in a narrow sense ...

I think the hormetic effect is triggered by the presence of mutagenous agents, and vanishes after the agent is gone - correct.

But:

First, once the agent is removed, the effect may last for some time ... the repair crew needs some amount of boredom to fall asleep :=)

Second, the presence of one agent (radiation, i.e.) may trigger effects helping against effects of other agents (chemical mutages, i.e.), because there is

REPAIR, not DEFENSE.

Best regards

	Frank