Re: Precautionary Principle

Barbara Hamrick wrote:

I hate to be the cynical one (oh yeah...), but isn't the "Precautionary

Principle" precisely what is responsible for the use of the LNT in the

setting of radiation protection standards?

At least the LNT model allows us to work under an ALARA principle.  Used as

a political tool, the Precautionary Principle begets Analysis Paralysis

where NO change in the status qua is allowed until absolute certainty can

be achieved that absolutely no risk is involved.  With that as an operating

principle, all industry would shut down because OSHA couldn't possibly

assure no risk in the work place.  Cost-benefit is rendered moot.  I admire

people who hold strongly to their beliefs.  I hold strongly to mine.  But

sometimes compromise is required to keep us from killing each other.  The

fun part is determining where the common ground lies.

In a crisis, you don't rise to the occasion.

You sink to the level of your training.

(John Rennie, Editor in Chief, Scientific American)

Paul Prichard

Millstone Station

Paul_Prichard@dom.com

(860) 437-2806