Re: Low-level Rn exposure and lung cancer

Steven,

I'll let others address possible biological mechanisms. I'll just point out

a simple mathematical fact:

If you have a LNT dose response and your measured dose rate has some random

error, then, once you bin the data by total exposure, you will observe an

inverse dose rate relationship very much like that observed by Lubin, even

though there is absolutely no relationship between dose rate and cancer.

Here is an example.

Assume the true exposure rate is constant at 10 WLM per year, but 1/2 the

people are assigned a dose that is 50% too low and the other half are

assigned a dose that is 50% too high. Also assume one group of miners works

for 5 years and another one for 20 years. LNT says that the 20 year group

will have 4 times the excess cancer rate.

The researchers will assign exposures of 25 and 100 WLM to people that

worked for 5 years and 100 and 400 WLM to miners that worked for 20 years.

They then bin the results by ASSIGNED exposure and graph cancer incidence vs

exposure rate. In our primitive example, only the 100 WLM bin can be used in

this way.

Cancer incidence will be related to TRUE exposure, rather than OBSERVED

exposure, so the people who received their observed 100 WLM in 20 years (200

WLM true exposure) will show 4 times the excess cancer rate of the people

who received their observed 100 WLM in 5 years (50 WLM true exposure).

Looking at the errors associated with exposure assessments associated with

the early mines, I am not convinced that the observed inverse dose rate

effect is not entirely a mathematical artifact.

(I think that this argument can be extended to controlled experiments as

well, but don't have time to get into it.)

Regards,

Kai