Re: Fw: Afraid of Radiation? Low Doses are Good for You by DonaldW. Miller, Jr., MD

Jerry and others;  I was quite pleased to read the Miller paper and was

going to circulate it further among an essentially lay audience. I will

be grateful, however, if you or others on Radsafe would kindly check

something.

Dr Miller states: "... The 103 nuclear reactors in the U.S. that remain

operational produce 7.6 percent of the nation.s energy, as electricity.

..."

I believe this statement is in error. In 2000 the US produced about 63

quadrillion BTU's. Of this total, 7.7 quadrillion BTU was produced by

nuclear plants. Thus, about 12% (not 7.7%) of the total annual US energy

production was by nuclear power.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/eh/frame.html

And, while not mentioned in Miller's paper, it has been widely reported

elsewhere, and can still be said that nuclear power produces about 22%

of the electricity produced in the US.

And a bit of trivia, I think DOE counts one particular plant as

'operable' even though it will not be back on line until 2007 -- thus

the "official" total is 104 operable nuclear plants in the US.

Am I missing something in Miller's paper?

Thanks to anyone who will help.

Maury Siskel      maury@webtexas.com