Re: Equine radiology

You are likely in more danger from being kicked than the scatter radiation. The old Picker army field portable x-ray machines had a "wind up" exposure timer that would scare the hell out of the poor horse as it buzzzzed counting down. I had to replace tubes, cables or plugs on those units about every 30 exposures when used by the vet.

Thinking back on it; it was never the same person that brought the units back to the service office. I only hope that the operator fared better than the equipment.

Karl

John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

What was the exposure time? I would assuming exposures

would be similar for a hoof and a human patient knee,

70 kVp, 5 mAs for 28 mrad entrance dose. If the time

is doubled, the mAs doubles, and the entrance dose

doubles.

Where was the handler standing? If not in line with

the primary beam, which I assume not, the dose would

be from scatter and leakage radiation. Probably in

the order of a couple of mrem. The handler should be

wearing a leaded apron.

I assume radiation risks were explained to the horse.

--- "Stabin, Michael"

wrote:

> Anyone with some equine radiology experience out

> there? Got this request

> this morning:

> "Please tell me approximately how many mrem the

> equine patient and horse

> handler are exposed to during a standard limb

> (hoof)radiographic

> procedure using a portable x-ray machine (70-90 kVp

> and 10-30 mA)?"

> Hey, with a question like this, "who ya gonna call?"

> Radsafe, of course,

> Dosebusters Extraodinaire.

. . .

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject." Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail: crispy_bird@yahoo.com