RE: A Question for Power Reactor Types and others with portal monitors.

My encounters on this subject are - About 5 mR contact reading on a recent administration, highest on the upper chest, and detection by portal monitors for 1-2 months.  100 + cpm with a DT-304 probe on the palm of the hand for about the same period.

Dave Neil

-----Original Message-----

From: Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV [mailto:Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV]

Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 1:26 PM

To: Radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: A Question for Power Reactor Types and others with portal

monitors.

Group,

I have been pondering the issue of Nuclear Medicine patients setting off

Homeland Security radiation detectors.

There apparently have been scattered incidents so far but NRC published an

information notice on it suggesting a verbal explanation and a business card

be given to patients that could set off such alarms.

I did an impromptu, very quick and VERY dirty test using about 850 uCi of

Tc-99m behind my back [to simulate in the body rather than a point source

and set off waste alarms at about ten feet (3m).

Among the challenges in trying to inform patients and security personnel is

how long a patient may set off an alarm.  We have had personnel here receive

a heart study using Tl-201, usual dose 4 or 5 mCi, trip our waste alarm at

"almost a month" after the procedure.

I am slow on the uptake but I just realized this is something I have heard

about at power plants and DOE facilities using portal monitoring systems.

Can any of you out there give me any information about how long people that

have had NM studies continue to trip portal monitors.  Any publications that

address this?

Any opinions expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily

represent those of the Eastern Colorado VA Health Care System, The

Department of Veterans Affairs, or the United States Government.

Peter G. Vernig

Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, 1055

Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220, ATTN:  RSO MS 115; peter.vernig@med.va.gov;

personal peter_vernig@hotmail.com; 303.399.8020 ext. 2447, FAX: 303.393-5026

Alternate fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is

pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be

excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/