Re: Radiogenic Colon Ca

I think there is a distinct difference between

exposures at therapeutic levels of radiation and that

received from the ingestion of uranium, in its many

isotropic forms.  In my limited experience with

external beam radiation therapy, the rectum was a

critical point.  However, I not seen any information

about the risk of colon-rectal cancer from uranium

ingestion.

Just because colon rectal exists in a population that

has an intake of uranium does not mean there is a

casual relationship between the two.

--- alstonchris@netscape.net wrote:

> The answer is yes, for instance in the

> radiotherapeutic context.  E.g., men who've had

> radiotherapy for prostate Ca are at increased risk

> for colon Ca, which enlarges with time after tx

> (natch).

> Then, according to BEIR V (p.301): "Irradiation has

> been observed to increase the risk of colon cancer

> in humans and laboratory animals.  The strongest

> evidence of the carcinogenic effects of radiation on

> the human colon is provided by the dose-dependent

> excess of colon cancers observed in Japanese A-bomb

> survivors."

> Posted by Louis Ricciuti (at the request of Marvin

> Resnikoff):

> "Ingestion of uranium would be much more effective

> in yielding a radiation dose to the colon and

> stomach; several of these workers developed colon

> cancer."

> >Is radiation exposure a known risk factor for colon

> cancer?

> Introducing the New Netscape Internet Service.

> Only $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at

> http://isp.netscape.com/register

> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

> Search from anywhere on the Web and block those

> annoying pop-ups.

> Download now at

> http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"Those who have not known the joy of standing up for a great cause of justice have not known what makes living worthwhile."

Paul Painleve, regarding the Dreyfus Affair, 1895

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com