RE: A Question for Power Reactor Types and others with portal monitors.

Besides patients, you will also have the problem of

radionuclide delivers to hospitals.  This happened a

few years ago in New York City when police using

hand-held detectors were "cruising" around the city

looking for bombs.

--- Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV wrote:

> Linda,

> Thanks for the information.  But I have to say two

> things about issuing

> "passes".  First that is the reason for the question

> to put a duration in

> for security personnel.  Second, it will not be a

> pass.  Security personnel

> are unlikely to just accept a letter or information

> sheet at face value and

> let the person go without any checking.  Personally,

> though I don't put much

> stock in the dirty bomb scenario, I don't think they

> should.  Hopefully,

> personnel will be well trained and have access to

> appropriate survey

> equipment.  A recent response I got indicates that

> border guards seem to

> handle the situation fairly well, asking persons in

> a bus if anybody has had

> a nuclear medicine procedure, have any identified

> person go through the

> portal separately, then the other passengers, then

> the bus or other vehicle.

> But I don't think it is a big stretch of imagination

> to say we are probably

> going to be seeing more radiation survey equipment

> installed in various

> places, say federal court houses, airline passenger

> terminals, you can guess

> as good as I can.

> Which brings up a point, seems to me I read an

> article either attached or

> with a link attached about a lady reporter in

> Washington D.C. who was

> stopped by a Metro [subway] police officer after

> having had a Nuclear

> Medicine diagnostic procedure.  Can anyone tell me

> where I might of read

> that, a reference with date and publication would be

> WONDERFUL!  I should

> have printed it out when I read it.

> Anyway I don't think the security people are just

> going to accept a letter

> or information sheet at face value, without some

> checking.  Anything we can

> do to provide a letter or information sheet can

> easily be duplicated by

> someone else, including a call back number.  The

> answer IMO is good training

> for the security personnel and so far, it seems like

> they have it.

> Any opinions expressed in this message are mine

> alone and do not necessarily

> represent those of the Eastern Colorado VA Health

> Care System, The

> Department of Veterans Affairs, or the United States

> Government.

> Peter G. Vernig

> Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health

> Care System, 1055

> Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220, ATTN:  RSO MS 115;

> peter.vernig@med.va.gov;

> personal peter_vernig@hotmail.com; 303.399.8020 ext.

> 2447, FAX: 303.393-5026

> Alternate fax 303-377-5686

> "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is

> right, whatever is

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Those who have not known the joy of standing up for a great cause of justice have not known what makes living worthwhile."

Paul Painleve, regarding the Dreyfus Affair, 1895

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com