Re: Can Somebody Explain this to me . . . .

Until the funding stops?

--- Raymond A Hoover <ray2hoover@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> After the last Gulf War, there were a whole bunch of

> studies done by different organizations, including

> several European governments.  As I remember most of

> the studies concluded that there was no measureable

> effect, but that more studies were needed.  The real

> question, it seems, is how many studies are needed?

> RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:In my opinion, the attached

> post conflates two issues, and I will try to

> separate them.

> 1. Psychosomatic illness is real illness, and

> recently has been quite successfully treated with

> psychiatry (I heard a piece about this on National

> Public Radio,that "liberal" pinko radionetwork).

> When I say successfully, it appears that the

> patients really do feel better and really do stop

> going from doctor to doctor trying to find the cause

> of their illness, and always convincced that the

> last doctor was a quack.

> 2. It is, however, important to find the cause of an

> illness, because only be knowing the actual cause

> can that illness be prevented or mitigated. Take the

> case of AIDS, which was initially thought to be a

> disease of homosexuality. Had this been accepted,

> and had all the effort and money gone into

> preventing homosexual practices of various sorts and

> into AIDS treatment, and no effort gone into really

> elucidating the cause (transmission of the AIDS

> virus by bodily fluids), we would not be protecting

> our blood supply. As it was, Arthur Ashe died from

> AIDS transmitted by transfusion, before the blood

> supply was adequately protected.

> i think we have a responsibility to demonstrate that

> DU is NOT the cause of these various illnesses, and

> I don't think we should compensate people for an

> exceedingly uncertain cause. If they are sick

> because they think they are sick, psychiatric

> treatment appears to be one way to go.

> Ruth

> Daylight Time, james.g.barnes@att.net writes:

> >[Sorry if this is a double posting; I seem to be

> having trouble with my email program.]

> >Dear Louis;

> >I'm not a medical doctor, but I've followed these

> situations with some interest.

> >To my knowledge of uranium physiology, I know of no

> effect that these soldiers are describing that is

> traceable to low levels of DU contamination.  That's

> based on a pretty extensive series of studies as

> well as an extensive population of nuclear workers

> exposed to uranium during refining and utilization

> processes. The level of exposures to these nuclear

> workers certainly would bracket the exposure levels

> to soldiers who may have been exposed to DU during

> combat operations in in combat areas. It seems

> logical to me that these worker populations would

> have been displaying the same symptoms as the

> soldiers, but to my knowledge they have not....

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> >text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> >with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> [...]

=====

"Those who have not known the joy of standing up for a great cause of justice have not known what makes living worthwhile."

Paul Painleve, regarding the Dreyfus Affair, 1895

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com