Re: Criteria for release of cats that received I-131 therapy

I read, with amusement, your "radioactive cat" regulations.  I have no experience of hot kitty litter, however I do have real life experience with diagnostic radioisotope injections.

I have had a couple of "treadmill stress tests", involving injections of 4 mCi Tl-201 (half life 73 hours) and 30 mCi Tc-99m (half life 6 hours).  These are standard medical tests for heart patients that are conducted thousands of times a day in hospitals and medical clinics throughout the U.S.  Typically the patient will leave the medical facility about an hour to an hour and a half after the injections.  Obviously, there is little decay in that time, and so the patient leaves with most of the 34 mCi of isotopes in his/her body (considerably more than the 0.2 mCi limit mentioned in Lorna's email).  Granted Tl-201 and Tc-99m have somewhat shorter half lives than I-131.

I also took some exposure measurements following my first treatment with a Bicron microR meter.  At 8 hours after my treatment, my chest and stomach were reading 17 mR/hr at contact; 3.5 mR/hr at 1 foot; 1 mR/hr at 3 feet; and 2 microR/hr (twice background) at 30 feet.  Extrapolating back, approximately 6 hours to my release, I figure my 1 foot reading was about 7 mR/hr.  It took 36 hours for my contact readings to reduce to 2 mR/hr, and 19 days for my contact reading to fall to 2 microR/hr (twice background).  My radiation field obviously exceeded a 2 mR/hr limit (or a 0.5 mR/hr limit) for a considerable time after my release.  I have not researched what the release criteria are for humans but if the regulations are so restrictive for cats, it would seem likely that they would also be similar or worse for humans.  However, as a practical matter, human patients are apparently not restricted from release following these everyday procedures.

Interestingly, the long term term behaviour of the longer lived Tl-201 had an effective half life of about 63 hours, only reduced slightly from 73 hours by the biological half life.  Therefore in order to reduce the body burden down to 0.2 mCi from 4 mCi would require approximately 6 days.  And the cost of staying in the hospital for six days before release is ... well you get the idea.

Furthermore I was not counselled about ALARA ... a meaningless concept in an uncontrolled public setting anyway ... stay 10 feet away from all humans, no hugs, separate meal times, sleep in the guest room, no sex  ...  ha ha!!

Well, nobody ever said radiation regs make sense.

Phil