  From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of Kai Kaletsch

  Sent: April 11, 2004 9:32 AM

  To: RadSafe

  Subject: Flight Attendant Question

  Hi folks,

  I received a (rather long) question from a fight attendant. Most of it I

can answer myself except:

  Would an energy compensated Geiger Tube based instrument give a reasonable

indication of dose rate inside an airplane?

  I think if most of the interactions are from secondary photons, the

reading may be OK. If the most of the counts are from charged particles, the

reading will probably not correspond to dose.

  Any thoughts?

  Kai