Re: Hormesis and Radon

How do they know it is not a placebo effect?

". . . The exact mechanism of radon's effect on the

human body is not completely understood. . . ."

--- Harry Hinks <Miller@nukeworker.com> wrote:

> I guess it turns out Dr Cohen and Long were right

> all along.

> Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2004 Mar 8;58:150-7.

> [Radon and ionizing radiation in the human body]

> Zdrojewicz Z, Belowska-Bien K.

> Klinika Endokrynologii i Diabetologii Akademii

> Medycznej we Wroclawiu. zygmunt@zdrojewicz.wroc.pl

> Spa health care became a medical discipline just as

> the development of other sciences created sufficient

> grounds for it. The basic and oldest method of spa

> treatment is balneotherapy. Among the medicinal

> waters, those with radon arouse the most

> controversy, these being the source of ionizing

> radiation. Radon is the one of the most important

> natural sources of radiation on earth. The exact

> mechanism of radon's effect on the human body is not

> completely understood. The hormesis theory is the

> best explanation of the advantageous biological

> effect of ionizing radiation in low doses. Radon

> significantly influences free oxygen radical

> transformations, nucleic acid repair, immunological

> processes, etc. It is a rare gas and does not react

> chemically with any compound in the body. It is

> known that radon is effective in treating chronic

> pain syndromes, endocrine disorders, and diseases of

> the circulatory and respiratory systems.

> NukeWorker.com is the only internet portal for

> Nuclear Workers, it offers FREE Email service,

> message boards, chat rooms, outage schedules, and

> job hunting services.

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"Those who have not known the joy of standing up for a great cause of justice have not known what makes living worthwhile."

Paul Painleve, regarding the Dreyfus Affair, 1895

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com