Re: Administrative Control Levels

Dave,

We have no written standard however, I think this is one where you have to take a hard look at the ALARA concept and determine what is reasonable. This may sound a bit ambiguous, due to the fact different people define "reasonable" in vastly different ways.

As you stated, there will always be some degree of disparity in dose due to the reasons you identified and one that you did not mention. Simply stated; some individuals work more efficiently, are more qualified, or just plain better at their jobs than others. This point is demonstrated time and again in commercial reactors by steam generator "jumpers" and control rod drive removal teams. Anyone that would tell you that talent levels in a population of workers are exactly equal is not, in my opinion taking a "reasonable" approach. Some individuals are better at certain tasks than others. Assigning workers to tasks they excel at is like using the right tool for the job. It is managements responsibility to identify each individual's strong points (and weak points too) and assign work accordingly.

The one thing that is unacceptable, is to give a work crew more dose because you use less efficient workers in order to normalize dose. This concept, again must be administered in a "Reasonable" or graded approach. Please don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that good workers should be exposed just because they are good workers. The optimal situation is realized when all workers are equally adept at performing the tasks at hand. Effective training and practice with mock-up scenarios of high-risk activities are vital. When worker's level of expertise are truly equal then every effort should be made to make their dose as "reasonably" equal as possible.

Hope this helps.

Kevin D. Kosko RRPT

President

K2 Environmental Services LLC.