Risk Comparison

RADSAFErs,

I found recently a very short notice in the newspaper I subscribe to and

which is regarded as a reliable and independent one.

It reads, translated:

60 000 deaths by catastrophs,

During Year 2003 about 60 000 persons have lost their lives caused by

natural and technical catastrophs, the Swiss reinsurance company Swiss Re

announces. More than two thirds of the victims died during earthquakes, 41

000 during the earthquake in Bam (Iran). All together Swiss Re lists 380

catastrophs, which caused losses of about 57 billion Euro (1Euro appr. 1,18

$), insurances had to cover about 15.1 billion Euro.

Has anybody access to statistics, showing the number of deaths, injured

people, the financial losses etc. caused by nuclear power, use of nuclear

and radioactive devices (including radioactive sources, accelerators etc.)?

I dare to ask, what the estimates are for an RDD? What are the estimated

deaths and costs for 1 microSv additional dose, leaving out hormesis and

taking LNT for granted?

A personal remark: We - the civilized world - have lost any perception of

risk, any perception of harm and are not able to put anything into

perspective.

Franz