AW: Risk Comparison

    -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

    Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von jjcohen

    Gesendet: Dienstag, 04. Mai 2004 01:20

    An: Franz Schoenhofer; radsafe

    Betreff: Re: Risk Comparison

        Franz,

            Your personal remark indicates that you may have had an

epiphany -

        Jerry, be sure that I had not! This discrepancy between real and

perceived risk has followed me even before the Chernobyl accident. I have

participated in research at the International Institute for Applied Safety

Analysis (IIASA) after the Chernobyl accident. The discrepancy between

scientifically available data on the consequences of the Chernobyl accident

and the mass media horror stories have always bothered me as you might

easily find out on the RADSAFE archives.

        Your remark is just another sign, that seriously thinking persons

are humiliated down to e.g. "epiphany". My limited knowledge of the English

(American) language might be a reason for perceiving your words like this,

but I do not believe it.

         the realization that peoples perceptions of risks are inconsistant

with their actual seriousness. A lot of us depend upon this phenomenon to

make a living. For example, if the nuclear waste was treated according to

its actual dangers, the problem would essentially disappear along with many

many jobs.   Jerry

        These fears prevent the construction and the operation of any new

nuclear power plants. Production of electrical energy would by far be more

prosperous than cleaning up sites to less than natural environmental levels.

        I have always hoped that "nuclear" people will follow in all their

decisions the truth, the truth and nothing than the truth. If they do not -

maybe the greens have a very good point?

        I hope I expressed my view clearly!

        Franz