RE: Patients trigger border radiation alarms

I believe that if terrorist want to disrupt our

security system, any detectabel radionuclide would do.

 Myoview uses Tc-99m which has only a 6 hour half

life.  Risks to patients and the public are low.

However, as this case demonstrates, detection is

disruptive enough.  I do not think we are going about

this intelligently, e.g., we need to identify as well

as detect radiation soucres.

--- Dimiter Popoff <tgi@cit.bg> wrote:

> Clearly there is little if any use of such detection

> - similar to, say,

> speed limit signs every 10 metres all over the

> place.

>  I wonder which of the short lived nuclides used for

> medical purposes is

> considered a terrorist (or whatever) danger, though.

> Why do they not set

> the devices to detect only nuclides of interest?

> Dimiter

> Dimiter Popoff

> ++359/2/9923340

> Transgalactic Instruments, Gourko Str. 25 b, 1000

> Sofia, Bulgaria

> http://tgi.cit.bg       tgi@cit.bg

> dimiter.popoff@firemail.de

=====

"We cannot escape danger, or the fear of danger, by crawling into bed and pulling the covers over our heads."

-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist