LSV Disposal

Radsafers;

Appreciate all the responses I got both on this list and offline,

regarding my question on LSV with uranium disposal. It was interesting

in one respect that no two answers or recommendations seemed to agree.

So many opinions, some logical and some not. That tells me that good

guidance is somewhat lacking. We are regulated here by our state. There

is the usual de minimus of 0.05 uCi/gm stated, but I note its only

specifies C-14 or H-3. So, little application to anything else.

However, I did find out that there are some facilities that will take it

for treatment with disposal. So, we will go that route. They don't tell

me the method they use for "treatment", but that's OK I guess. My guess

is either solidification or even incineration if the license allows. But

I am told its important to segregate the hazardous LSV from the

non-hazardous, in addition to the standard segregation of C-14/H-3 from

everything else. So, thanks again all.

PS- From the MSDS data on the Ultima Gold formulation I'm talking about,

the primary ingredient is the aromatic di-isopropyl napthelene. Liquid

mothballs? Weird. But the only thing noted is that it is a skin and eye

irritant. No other human concerns were noted.

-Russ