RE: Strontium-90 on Tennessee Highway 95

The issue about a nuclear winter, which should be a

radiation effects related subject, came out of an

article that appeared in the journal "Science."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

It was called the TTAPS study (I love the name) of

which Dr. Sagan was a co-author. It originally work

was on the study of the climate of Mars. The central

idea was that only nuclear weapons had the energy to

loft dust and smoke high enough in the atmosphere so

that long term conditions would result in a cooling of

the earth, called a nuclear winter.  In the article,

the authors admitted that what they considered was

only a first order approximation.  In the years the

followed, there were several more studies including

some of the DOE labs,

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=5316433

and http://oasis.harvard.edu/html/env00007.html

Eventually, the idea of a nuclear winter lead to a

nuclear autumn.  I guess the labs ran out of money for

this kind of work.  Also, it was clear that oil fires

would not lead to a "nuclear winter," as the soot was

not be lofted high enough to have a long lasting

effect.

Two interesing side items. There was a Health Physics

Society Summer School in 1984 on the Health Physics

Aspects of a Nuclear Attack. Coincidence?  Also, the

original study on the effects of nuclear weapons

spawned much of the research on global climate.

http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1989/may/fellman_p1_890501.html

--- "Riely, Brian P." <brian.riely@ngc.com> wrote:

> I believe that there is a difference between some

> environmental damage and a  nuclear winter.  I am

> also concern about what happens outside of the US.

> Please address any more comments off line.

> Thank you

> Brian

=== message truncated ===

=====