Helicopter IBIS and Sr-90 sources

Can someone 'splain this to me??? I don't quite understand how this works,

a report references a shielded container, so I'm kinda confused (not

terribly unusual).

"The strontium-90 was part of the helicopter's in-flight blade inspection

systems (IBIS), which warn

pilots when the blades develop stress fractures. IBIS devices release

minute amounts of radiation

when a leak develops in the pressurized blades, and a radiation detector on

each wing immediately

notifies the pilot that a blade may fail."

Thanks in advance,

Brian Rees