RE: Helicopter IBIS and Sr-90 sources

the ibis is simply a dp cell; the plunger that activates has an attached

500mCi strip of sr90 on it; when the dp cell activates, the plunger pops up

and an istalled detector activates an alarm.  we store the devices for the

navy; i am not attached to a helicopter squadron.  my understanding is that

the blades are pressurized and a rupture of the blade causes the dp cell to

activate.

the only shielding is a plastic housing that goes over the ibis when not in

use to prevent beta exposure.

john erickson

defense depot