Re: RO-2/Telepole Reading Discrepancy

Dear Carl;

I'm assuming the MGC is like the teletector (GM tube on an extendable pole).  My first suspicion is that it is an energy effect common to GM tubes.  The short version is that a GM tube "fires" no matter what the gamma energy is that hits it.  So, to a GM tube, a Cs-137 and Co-60 gamma are the exact same beast.  Depending upon what isotope is used to calibrate the instrument, the instrument will under or over-respond to other isotopes.  This can be mitigated by energy compensating shields, etc., but they are workarounds and not perfect. What isotope do you use to calibrate the instrument?

R02's, on the other hand, are ion chambers.  The output of the detection circuit is proportional to the energy of the gamma it detects.  Thus, it will scale the needle response to the energy of the incident gamma, and gives an inherently more accurate response.

Also, in the teletector design, there as a tiny circuit board within the larger detector which had the high range detector.  If that wasn't oriented perfectly to the source, you'd see all sorts of variation due to probe orientation.  If you can see the dose on an R02, however, I suspect you haven't used that circuit on the extendable; it was for measuring up to 2,000 R/hour.

Jim Barnes, CHP

james.g.barnes@att.net