Re: IP Takeover?

5/26/04 8:46:02 AM, Rick Orthen <rorthen@cecinc.com> wrote:

>  Date:        Wed, 26 May 2004 08:46:02 -0400

>  From:        Rick Orthen <rorthen@cecinc.com>

>  Subject:     IP Takeover?

>     May 26, 2004 - Associated Press - W'chester mulls nuke takeover -

>     Westchester County is spending $385,000 to determine whether the county

>     could take over the Indian Point nuclear plants, shut them down and

>     replace them with another energy source. Among the issues to be tackled

>     in a five-month study by a consultant is what such a takeover would cost

>     and how Indian Point's 2,000 megawatts of energy - enough for 2 million

>     homes - could be made up, County Executive Andrew Spano said yesterday................

==================

Hi all:

I don't recall who said it, but this news report brings it to mind:

 "Ignorance is society's most toxic waste."

Just what the Northeast needs.  2,000 MW[e] of additional gas fired electric generating capacity driving

up costs to every homeowner who heats with gas. Natural gas prices skyrocketed last winter for homeowners

due to natural gas shortages since New England is at the end of supply pipelines. Maybe Spano would

rather have LNG supply ships regularly docking in NYCity harbor to unload LNG from Algeria to supply his

gas fired power plants. Perhaps he thinks docking LNG supertankers and the nearby storage tanks will make

people feel safer than the operation of IP's nuclear plants.

The ratepayers of NYState pay to decommission IP's units and the environmental problems of greenhouse gas

emissions  [although slightly less CO2 with gas than coal per MWe] are worsened. What a farce this Spano

is creating. Wasting $385,000 to hire some anti-nuclear consultant who will certainly come up with

conclusions that Spano wants to hear. One definition I've heart of a consultant:

"A consultant is someone you hire to tell you what time it is, and the first thing they do is ask to

borrow your watch."

Stewart Farber