In-Flight Radiation

Dear List:

There is quite a lot on this in the RADSAFE archives. Also, a look at the Ask

the Expert answers at the website of the Health Physics Society will reveal

more.

Since I wrote the articles in Health Physics referred to here and also the

recent paper in Obstetrics and Gynecology that prompted this thread, let me

reiterate a few key points.

The FAA did classify flight crewmembers as occupationally exposed individuals

in 1994. Advisory Circular AC 120-61 is quite clear on the subject. It can be

accessed at:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/7E5699223F365C78862569BC0057D047?OpenDocument

Notice that that the document refers to the Presidential Guidance on

Radiation FOR OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE (emphasis mine) which is used by all other Federal

regulatory agencies in maintaining a uniform standard of permissible

exposures for radiation workers. The principal difference is that the FAA has chosen

to make their comments on the subject advisory, not regulatory.

With respect to the software used to calculate in-flight doses on a

trip-by-trip basis, the program is called CARI-6 and can be accessed at the FAA

website:

http://jag.cami.jccbi.gov./cariprofile.asp

I reviewed an earlier version in Health Physics a few years back.  For

professional flight crew members, the variations of altitude and latitude tend to

average out over a large number of trips so entering a "generic" flight plan

pretty much gives the accumulated dose. For individuals taking a flight or two,

knowing the altitude changes and durations along the route is a matter of some

speculation unless you cozy up to the captain for the information. But for a

few flights, the total dose really doesn't matter anyway.

As Joyce May said in her presentation to American Airlines that appeared in

the press a few days ago, the real concern is from aircrew who have never been

given specific information about in-flight radiation even though every other

regulated employee, often receiving far less dose, is required to have some

information in order to make educated decisions about the acceptability of their

exposures.

I think that all sensible RADSAFE list members would agree that at the levels

of exposure encountered in an airplane the risk is not great, and may indeed

be nonexistent if the LNT model is invalid. But I believe that all exposed

workers have the right to know something about the nature of their exposure in

order to make an informed decision about those risks. As we all might agree,

knowing virtually nothing about radiation risk leads to far more anxiety and

confusion than having a good background understanding of the subject. That's why I

wrote my book The Invisible Passenger. The paper in Obstetrics and

Gynecology. "In-Flight Radiation and Pregnancy" can be accessed at their website and

downloaded for the usual few-dollar fee if any of you want to read it.

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/6/1326?maxtoshow=&;

HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=Barish&searchid=1089419691972_247&

stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&journalcode=acogjnl

Regarding the Concorde radiation exposures, the following publication will be

of use:

British Airways measurement of cosmic radiation exposure on Concorde

supersonic transport. Health Phys. 2000 Nov;79(5):545-6.

The following link has a number of other interesting papers on this subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Display&;

dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=11045527

I get RADSAFE as a digest, so I may be behind in reading items that have been

recently posted.

Rob Barish

robbarish@aol.com