AW: FW: Heavy water face spray

This contribution came originally to the RADCHEM list. It is embarrassing

how many (though not all) RADCHEM and RADSAFE "experts" obviously did not

recognize, that D20 (or better: deuterium) is not radioactive and obviously

do not know the difference between deuterium and tritium.

My comment to RADCHEM was, that I thought the price of US$ 15 for 2 oz of

pure D20 sounding very cheap for me, but I did not receive an answer -

anybody on RADSAFE can answer this? Probably our Canadian collegues?

The biological effects of replacing hydrogen in cells by deuterium have been

discussed a few years ago on RADSAFE extensively. I am sure the discussion

can be retrieved from the archives. I remember that this replacement

influenced the cells very negatively because of the changed kinetics - not

so dramatically like with tritium. But still - even if somebody would be

full of deuterium - I sincerely hope, that in no restricted area in any

nuclear power plant or any other research institute there would enough

neutrons fly around to produce enough tritium to harm the human body. I have

not calculated it, but it might be necessary to put the person close to a

reactor core - where he would die from other radiation.

Best regards,

Franz